Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Camp Life

Romans 12:10 Love one another with brotherly affection. Out do one another in showing honor

      It has been an interesting summer.    Been on two jobs with three companies.  Many of the guys are like me ,  out here on a pipeline, some new faces and some old.  
     I was making dinner last week.  I was enjoying a little bit of peace and quiet.    Then someone came into my hovel.  I was getting a new roommate.    Something seemed familiar with the way he came in and I recognized the voice, but something had changed.  The clean cut Hispanic man was now sporting longer hair wrapped neatly in a pony tail.  I immediately recognized the big smile behind a full beard and moustache.  "Oof Da Tomas," exclaimed the friendly voice.  "You not been eating vegi burritos, have you."  The only voice it could have been poking fun at my tummy was none other than Jose Jimenez.
     We exchanged stories of our families, caught up on our latest adventures in the Bakken oil patch, and sat down and shared a meal.  It was just like working together last winter.  I fixed a little something and he made a little something.
     Lately my weekends consist of getting details worked out with  the impending marriage to the beautiful Brenda.  Jose goes on adventures with his Latino friends.  Its all good. When I return back to the man camp on Sunday nights, Brenda has my cooler loaded full of goodies for the week.  I have found that Rice Crispy bars, chocolate chip cookies, and apple crisp are good barter for a plate of spaghetti, or an occasional burrito.
     Brenda has been introducing me to people in her community and my new friend Eric gave me a shirt from the Williston High School band.   I am scheming on something to show him  that he is a friend.  I like the guy, a rarity out here, a fellow democrat... I hope.  Of course there are others on my backfilling crew.   
     I ran into a fellow that I worked with on my first pipeline job... a sober guy who seen me go back out after 13 years.  It's amazing how things work out.  He's seen me sober again and had almost lost hope figuring I would never come back to sanity.    
    Today I am grateful that I was sane when I met my friend Jose and others that I have met during the last year... they are much easier reunions than those I bump into out here on the line than those that have seen my sick and crazy.   For them, I had nothing real and  to give. And that is what  they remember , and makes it hard for them to accept boundaries.  Boundaries are important in a mancamp in the Bakken.
  
    

No comments:

Post a Comment