Sunday, May 22, 2016

The Line Reawakens

     Wow! much has changed since my last blog, and much has stayed the same out on the line.  Over the past few years there hasn't been much activity since the Alliance project.  It was there where I met my longtime friend and confidant Jose Carlos Jimenez.

     While Jose was transitioning across the country in political activism and sorting out his Ojibwe and South American global ancestry, I, in the meantime, have been kept busy by Local 49 and the fellas at Minnesota Limited.  Technically speaking we have been doing oilfield roustabout work out here in the patch, putting in gathering systems and oil pad work.  And the day finally came in the slowdown where my number was up.  My guys were going to Indiana.  And the hall has other plans for me.

     Nevertheless, Penguin Lodge is thriving and will continue to thrive.  We have a sign now.  We began to add wildlife food plots for deer and turkey and grouse and deer, and ducks and geese and deer.  We acquired an old tractor, and resurrected some farm implements.  Reloading ammunition has become a new topic around the dinner table, and the boys continue to do extensive work on the rifle range.

     So they day came and I had to leave, but it wasn't like really leaving because Williston is like going to another home.   Nevertheless I felt anxious.  So I get to leave the forest and explore the the Great Plains and the Wild West once again.  And fate landed me back in Williston with my lovely wife and amazing Brenda. Along with our two almost and wannabe dogs JoJo and Java who greet my at the door everyday when I come home with the enthusiasm of Fred's but not enough size to knock me down,  A routine has been established, and I sure feel blessed to be in the situation I'm in.  I'm safe, comfortable, and not getting and smaller around the belly.

    Sign up day came.  I orientated into the Dakota Access Pipeline Project.   One that will go down in the books.  I ran into some old friends, Butch, Mardy, Tony.Sent on the front end this time, mowing brush.  Got a call from some other old friends.  They're working on different spreads.

     I got to machine, checked everything out,
I noticed something familiar out on the road, It was too windy to hear a voice, or sense an aroma.  Everyone wears a white hardhat and green vest. but it was a person, an unforgettable smile from someone that you have shared a special kind of connection with.  Then the smile walked over because he knew it was me. And when we got close enough to remove all doubt, he spoke.

     "Buenos Dias senor Thomas,!  I'm already sick of these stinking cold burritos."
     I replied, "I'm tired of the warm baloney on white bread too."  It was 12:08.  We exchanged our lunches, and caught up as much as we could before he had to grab his signs and flag me across the road.
     Jose Carlos Jimenez is back in North Dakota.  We are working the same spread once again.  I am an operator he is a laborer.  And I knew he was alright, And I was alright,  For I know not my bosses on this new job with this new company and because Jose was there with his smile and out normal friendly exchange that not much has really changed

Philippians 4:6-7English Standard Version (ESV)

do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment